Browse the community calendar below for a listing of coalition member events. Use the ‘Categories’ drop down menu to select an area of interest and the ‘Agenda’ drop down menu to select how you wish to view the calendar. You may also post an event or provide a feed from your organization’s calendar by selecting from the green menus below at right (your submission will be reviewed for suitability).
- “Win a Bike” essay contest! Deadline for submission is Oct. 25th.
- Parks and Recreation Youth Basketball; Tues. nights; Sanford Jr. High School Gym; 7 to 9:00 PM. Basketball Open Gym for Jr High School and SHS students throughout the fall and winter. $1/night. Pay at the gym. No school that day – No Gym that night. Contact: Lori or phone: 324-9130.
- Nasson Bike Center is looking for volunteers! The Nasson Bike Center is a resource for local youth looking for a bike, fix a bike, needing some community service time, or wanting to learn some mechanical and problem solving skills. We are looking for volunteers to mentor our kids as they rebuild bikes making them safe and reliable. We are open Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday afternoons from 2 to 5:00 year round. There is no requirement that the volunteer participate a certain number of hours. It is helpful that they participate on a regular schedule. Read more.
- York County Community Action Corporation Early Headstart and Headstart. We currently have openings in our pre-school classrooms! In the following towns: Biddeford, Berwick, Buxton, Kittery, OOB , Saco, Sanford and Waterboro. FMI.
- Wellness at Walmart: Daily @ 6:00 am – 8:00 am; Partners for Healthier Communities, Let’s Go!, Sanford YMCA, and Walmart have partnered to offer a space for the public to walk 7 days a week from 6:00 to 8:00 AM. All are welcome to join! Contact: Betsy Kelly.
- Families READ is an adult education program that strives to enable each adult to reach their academic, career, and parenting goals, while simultaneously offering a quality early childhood literacy program that assists parents in preparing their child for school. Contact: Jeanne MacDonald.
August 2014 – March 2016
The Sanford Strong Coalition Restorative Justice Task Group will work together to develop and support a collaborative approach to holding juveniles accountable that is meaningful, victim-centered and restorative to all parties involved. The Sanford Strong Coalition supports initiatives to strengthen the health, well-being, and success of Sanford’s children, youth and their families. Utilizing restorative justice practices can grow a strong community through mutual respect, accountability, trust and reconciliation.
This initial meeting will allow everyone to share their interest in restorative justice, provide some basic information about Restorative Justice principles and goals, offer an overview of what is happening throughout York County and the State of Maine to develop restorative justice infrastructure and programs, and let the collective wisdom of the group drive our next steps.